Certificate of Citizenship FAQ

There have been a number of cases where Korean adoptees have been deported from the United States to Korea, or unable to obtain a visa to study in Korea (or unable to obtain an F4 visa), due to not having been properly naturalized in the United States.


Adoption Links DC encourages its members and adoptive families around the country to verify your citizenship or the citizenship of your adopted child/family member. If you believe that you or a family member is not protected by the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 AND that you or they were not properly naturalized in the United States, please do not hesitate to contact us or visit www.adopteerightscampaign.org for more information about how to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship.


Please also refer to the general information about the Certificate of Citizenship provided below:


  • If your DOB is anytime before February 27, 1983, you did not automatically acquire U.S. Citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act. Please make sure that you acquired your citizenship through Naturalization.
  • The form for applying for a Certificate of Citizenship is N-600. (This form is NOT the same as the Application for Naturalization, N-400.)
  • The form for replacing your Naturalization/Citizenship papers is N-565
  • Please attach form G-1145 to your N-600 application to request an electronic notification when USCIS accepts your immigration application.
  • If you submit Form N-600 on paper: Please make sure to sign the form at Part 7, Your Signature. USCIS rejects any unsigned Form N-600.
  • Veterans of the United States Armed Forces can have the fee for a Certificate of Citizenship waived. (Proof of service is required.)
  • Please always make sure to secure your original proof of citizenship documents.
  • Important: The filing fee for an application for a Certificate of Citizenship is scheduled to significantly increase by the end of 2016.
Print Print | Sitemap
© Adoption Links DC is a qualified 501(c)(3) public charity.